So now you finally know …

… you control where you go, you can steer.

Sometimes I just love waking up in my room, greeted by paintings and postcards and siblings hiding from each other under blankets and tables.

‘Three, two, one! Ready or not, here I come!’

I don’t know what it is, but I love that declaration. It doesn’t explicitly say whether the hider or the seeker is ready, and, shit, if it isn’t true about everyone and everything in life, I don’t know what is.

Maybe it’s the feeling of a second graduation. All this talk about QCS from the current Year 12 students, and the knowledge that I say goodbye to Engineering and begin afresh in Law next year. That feeling of liberation, of knowing I’m not lying to myself, doing something others pressed onto me. That I can finally wake up in the morning and not have to tell myself, ‘I can do this’, and think, ‘I love my life’.

Or maybe it’s that feeling of – for once – not having to worry about grades, assignments or exams. This is my first stress-free September, and I like it.

Hello world. Ready or not, here I come.

Multicultural Fiesta 397

I think kids in general are just awesome.

4 comments:

Queen of Anne said...

._____. I had no idea you felt that way about engineering or that it wasn't your choice... Well Jell. This leaves you free for me to exploit your ink-ly ways and demand pretty things!

Topher said...

Queen of Anne, you should be studying for engg1010 :P

I am really happy for you, I remeber having a similar feeling back in 2005, it was just relaxing and it was fantastic. I didnt have a job, like you do so I wasn't as free to spend money and waht not but I do remeber loving life. That was fantastic, I could wake up every monring and not worry about assigments and exams.

And thank you for not forgetting about us, the UQ people we really appreciate you coming to visit us because we still all miss you a lot.

littel-philow-cat said...

I told myself I wouldn't do engineering if I didn't get the Scholarship I applied for, and would do Science instead. I didn't get the scholarship, but I felt it was too late to change.

But I stayed in it, and it was worth its while. I mean, I learned a lot. And I also learned that I do like maths, which is a silly thing to learn. But most importantly, I did meet awesome people.

And Toph, I fully agree. It's an amazing feeling -- especially when you normally live in a bubble of pressure about doing well.

I mean, you know what my mum said the other day.

"James, why aren't you studying?"
Jo: "Do you like expect him to get an OP 1 or something?"
Mum: "No. Just an OP3 or better."

And how could I forget you guys? You're (plural) awesome. And Monkey Socks is and will remain a testimony to that.

littel-philow-cat said...

Also, QA: I love the letter you sent me. Adore it, greatly.

I'm working on some sort of reply. Just waiting for the right idea to come my way.